Thinking about playing US Powerball? Here are the most important things you should know before buying your lottery ticket. To participate in the US Powerball draw, all you need to do is choose 5 main numbers from a guess range for 1-69 and the Powerball, an additional number, from another guess range (1 to 26). You can easily play from outside the US by choosing theLotter, the leading lottery messenger service, which gives you access to the biggest lotteries.
The Powerball rules are simple. You need to choose your numbers (5 main ones from a guess range of 1 to 69 and the additional Powerball from 1 to 26), and then submit your ticket. Piece of cake! The next step is waiting for the official draw to see if you got lucky and won the jackpot or any of the secondary prizes. The jackpot starts at $40 million and grows with every rollover!
Official Powerball Draws
The US Powerball draw takes place twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 22:59 Eastern time. The lucky numbers are extracted from two different barrels; one for the main numbers, and one for the Powerball.
Tickets for Powerball draws should be purchased in advance, a few hours before the draw closes. You can do this easily online on theLotter.
What is Power Play?
To boost the Powerball prizes, you should use Power Play! Powerball offers this optional multiplier, which increases the seven bottom prizes by 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 10 times! The officials select the value of the multiplier depending on the draw and jackpot size; with 2 being more likely to appear than 10.
Please note that the jackpot is never increased by Power Play, only secondary prizes get multiplied. The 10x multiplier only comes into play when the jackpot is $150 million or less to encourage people to play when the jackpot levels drop.
Guessing the five main numbers and the Power Play would make you a millionaire even by doubling Powerball’s second price up to $2,000,000.
The Power Play multiplier is the last number selected randomly in Powerball draws. This option adds $1 to the cost of the ticket, but it is for sure worth it! Can you imagine how much of a difference it would be if you’re lucky enough to win a secondary prize that was multiplied by 5 or even 10 times? To add the multiplier, you just need to check the Power Play option when you buy your tickets online.
Powerball Play Options
To increase your chances of winning Powerball, you can use some special gameplay options available when you buy tickets online on theLotter.
- Powerball syndicates – you get the chance to play more tickets for less money! How does it work? By playing with a group, you go into the game with more tickets and split the cost with the other players. Each of you gets more chances of winning, and if you do the prize is shared between the syndicate.
- Bundles – mix the advantages of syndicate and individual play by choosing bundles. With a bundle package you get both an individual ticket and a share of the lines bought with a group of players. This way you reduce the investment and increase your odds of winning.
- Systematic forms – you can cover every possible combination of your lucky numbers. If you match even some of the Powerball numbers, they will appear on more tickets and you will get more prizes.
The US Powerball jackpot is the biggest in the world, as it starts out at an amazing $40 million, increasing with every draw where it is not won. Because it doesn’t have a cap, it can grow exponentially until a lucky winner gets the numbers. This is how it reached the historic amount of $1.58 billion, which is still the record!
Apart from the jackpot, there are 8 secondary prize divisions, with attractive amounts to be won. The jackpot is won when you match all the 5 main numbers and the Powerball. For the secondary prizes, there are combinations of how many main numbers you have, plus the additional number. Check them out below!
|5 + Powerball||Grand Prize||Grand Prize|
|5||$1 million||$2 Million|
|4 + Powerball||$50,000||$100,000|
|3 + Powerball||$100||$200|
|2 + Powerball||$7||$14|
|1 + Powerball||$4||$8|
How to Play US Powerball online?
Playing US Powerball online with a lottery messenger service is a safe, legal, and convenient method. You can do it from the comfort of your home, using any device you like (desktop, tablet, or phone). theLotter offers world-leading services that are available worldwide.
Using this platform, you can play the world’s most popular lotteries, and rest assured that you will have official tickets purchased on your behalf from reputed retailers. The messenger service scans the copy of your ticket and sends it to the player’s account. Check the video below for a detailed explanation of how things work:
Advantages of Playing Online
Playing US Powerball online is the only way to play this major lottery from outside the US. By choosing theLotter you get access to special offers, discounts, and packages that will increase your odds of winning. Apart from being a convenient and safe method of playing your favorite lotteries, the messenger service offers other important advantages:
- You have an official entry. When you choose a reputed lottery messenger service, you’ll receive an official entry to US Powerball and if you win, you’ll collect your prize just as players from the US do. Some sites offer online lottery play, but just the option to bet on the outcome of a draw. In this case, if you win, you will have to deal with a private company to pay for your prize. With theLotter, you have an official ticket and a scan which are the proof of your purchase.
- No worries about losing your ticket. A physical paper ticket can be misplaced, lost or even stolen which would make you lose any prize you could win with that ticket. If you play online, your ticket scan, ticket details, and proof of purchase are safely stored online. This way you can rest assured that there is no way of losing a winning ticket!
- Automatic win notification. Another thing you don’t have to worry about! Your lucky numbers are checked automatically, and if you win, you will receive notifications via SMS or email. There’s no way you could forget or miss out on a win!
- Advanced Gameplay Options. Take your game to the next level! By buying more tickets you increase your chances, but this can be a very expensive method. If you opt for advanced gameplay, you have more chances of reaching your goals at a fraction of the cost. Syndicates and bundles mean playing the lottery with a group of people and buying more tickets by splitting the cost. With systematic forms, you select more numbers and cover every possible combination of your lucky picks.
- Special Offers and Discounts. Multi-draws are another way to make the best of your buck. This option ensures that your ticket will be submitted to as many successive draws as you want, and it comes with 15 – 25% discounts. By checking the Subscription box, you get every 10th ticket for free, as well as earn 25 VIP points!
US Powerball FAQ
How is the Powerball jackpot paid out?
The US Powerball rules explain that jackpot winners have two options when choosing how to have their prize paid out. They can opt for a cash lump sum which is smaller than the announced jackpot because of due taxes. The other option is annuity which will be paid out in 30 payments over 29 years. Keep in mind that players who opt for the single cash transfer take home less money!
Do you have to be a U.S. citizen or resident to play Powerball?
No, you can play US Powerball if you are not a US citizen and even if you don’t live in the US by purchasing your tickets online. Powerball tickets are available in 47 US states, and theLotter’s service makes playing available worldwide. You just need to purchase Powerball tickets from a retailer or online messenger service provider that is licensed and authorized. theLotter is a reputed and licensed source of lottery tickets that you can buy online.
How much time ahead of the draw can I purchase a ticket?
Tickets for Powerball draws should be purchased in advance, until around 22:45 Eastern Time on the night of the draw, or around 17:00 Eastern Time when playing the lottery online. You can purchase them until the official closing time for the draw (a few hours in advance of the announced time). Tickets become available soon after the previous draw closes and the jackpot is announced.
How many draws is a Powerball ticket good for?
Every standard ticket is available for one single draw unless you opt for multi-draws. On theLotter, you can check the Multi-draw option and submit your lucky numbers to as many successive draws as you want. The more draws, the higher the discount. You can order tickets for up to 52 draws in advance, case in which you will get a discount of 25% on the total price of the tickets.
Do Powerball numbers need to be in order?
No, your Powerball numbers don’t need to be in order. You just need to guess the 5 main ones + the Powerball in order to win the jackpot. Same rule applies for the other prizes. The order in which the numbers have been selected has no baring on the winnings.
Do you win with just the Powerball?
Yes, you will win a $4 prize for guessing just the Powerball, which is the last prize division. If you opt for the Powerplay multiplier, the value of the prize can grow, depending on the multiplier of the draw. If Powerplay for the respective draw is 5X, you can get $20 instead of $4.
Do quick picks ever win the lottery?
Of course! There is an amazing quick pick success story to prove it! Gloria Mackenzie, an 85-year-old woman, won a whopping $590 million Powerball jackpot in 2013. Mackenzie bought the lucky ticket using Quick Pick, and her fortune had to do with the person who let her cut in line at the store. This person would have gotten the ticket if they were not polite enough to allow Mrs. Mackenzie to take their place.
Can I buy Powerball tickets online?
Yes! You can easily and safely purchase US Powerball tickets on theLotter, a reputed lottery messenger service. Your tickets are bought by representatives from official retailers on the territory of the United States and stored in safes. You receive scanned copies in your account, so there is no way you can lose or damage a winning ticket!